Tuesday, May 30, 2006

All work and no play

It's been over a week since I have played any poker. I suffered through a looooooong week at work, amassing over 70 hours due to the Memorial Day holiday (including one marathon 18 hour shift). Unfortunately, I am on salary so this did nothing for my paycheck! It didn't do much for my state of mind either, so it's a good thing I stayed away from the tables. I was so fried by the end of the week that I had trouble forming complete sentences.

On Saturday night, Jess and I attended the wedding of a couple of good friends of ours. I actually showed up late, just getting out of work in time to make dinner at the reception. It was a great time, the reception was actually in 30th Street Station.... which is similar to New York's Grand Central Station, with some amazing architecture, marble and granite everywhere, etc. Very interesting concept and a ton of fun. This was the same group that was at the poker tourney the week before, so of course everyone had their chance to share their bad beat stories after 10 gin and tonics. On the way home, we stopped at the Wawa right up the street from our apartment. For those of you who don't know what a Wawa is, it's probably the best convenience store on earth, next time you are in the northeast or midatlantic states search one out. Anyhow, as we are waiting for our made-to-order 2am sandwiches, this random guy comes up to us and asks "Hey, have you ever heard of the band My Morning Jacket?" I state that I have, then he points to a guy next to the fresh doughnut case. "Does he look familiar to you?" I admit that he doesn't, as I have never seen a picture of the guys in the band. Anyhow, turns out it really was the keyboard player for the band, they were opening for Pearljam in nearby Camden, NJ. He was a pretty down to earth guy, he seemed pretty psyched to be touring with Pearljam, understandably so. A pretty fun drunken quasi-celebrity sighting in a random Wawa at 2 in the morning.

On sunday I headed back into Philly with my wife to Penn's Landing, where the annual "Jam on the River" festival was taking place. Finally, a day off just to hang out and forget about work. Saw some fun bands, including the Dirty Dozen Brass Band, Railroad Earth, and Ween. I really got my groove on to the Dirty Dozen Brass Band, as all the stress and tension of the week melted away in the hot Philly sun. Jess and I were contemplating heading over to the Electric Factory for the Disco Biscuits late night performance, but their show wasn't going to start until after 11PM, and I had to be back in work @ 10am on monday (yes, we even work on Memorial Day, which coincidentally was my 1 year wedding anniversary)

Looking ahead, I'll be able to get back in the poker groove this weekend. I'll be taking a few days off of work early next week, and Jess and I have a few days at the fabulous Jersey shore planned. We reserved a room at the Tropicana in Atlantic City for sunday night, where I should be able to quench my poker thirst as Jess hits the slot machines. Then monday we will head down to Cape May for a few days, where we have absolutely nothing planned. So another trip up the Parkway to AC isn't totally out of the question.... hahaha.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bones said...

Whatcha been up to recently Shawn! I need more.

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home