Sunday, May 14, 2006

Early Exit

I just got knocked out of the 100k sunday tourney on bodog. I don't like sharing bad beats usually, because nobody really likes hearing them, but this one has a point to it- so here goes. I am dealt AA in the big blind, UTG raises 4x the big blind, folds around the table to the small blind, where he pushes 3x the raise. All I can see is my stack getting bigger, but I want to isolate the small blind, so I bump approx 4x his re-raise. In the chat box, the small blind writes..."Wow- I guess I am beat. You must have the aces. Well, good luck all" and then pushes all in. I insta-call and he shows QQ, with a Q on the turn.

Why the hell do people do that?????????? It would have been one thing if he thought I was trying to steal the pot, or thought I was overplaying 10's or jacks, but this guy put the correct read on me. Shit, I may as well have typed in the comments that I had AA- he knew. What drives someone to put their life on the line as a 4-1 underdog? It's not like he was getting shortstacked and needed to make a move, the tourney was only 20 minutes old.

So I've been sitting here steaming for a little bit now, trying to get inside the head of this player. I've come up with a few things that might explain his play.....
* It could be his MTT strategy- take chances early with pairs and draws, either go broke or amass a big stack, and take your shot at a big payday. If that's what it was, then more power to him. It worked this time. Hopefully I'll be seated next to him with AA again when it doesn't work.
* Simply put, he's a Donk.
* Maybe he had somewhere to be, laundry to fold, soup on the stove, or his dog just ran out the front door and he needed to catch him.
* He's a donk.
* Maybe the $110 buy in means nothing to him. Maybe he's playing with a bankroll of $25,000. Maybe he's sitting at a juicy 30/60 game somewhere and he needs to focus his attention on that for a while.
* or, he could just be a donk.

I know I have made similarly stupid plays in the past, and thinking back on some of them has calmed me down a little bit. I guess what goes around, comes around. 4 out of 5 times I'll be well on my way to a nice stack in that situation. I've been playing very well lately, making good reads, some nice laydowns, and being aggressive when I have the goods. A few hands earlier in the 100k tourney I had KK (I've been catching great cards the past few days) raised heartily preflop with one caller, the dreaded ace came on the flop of course, and the caller who has been *very* aggressive so far in the tourney checks it to me. He had been contesting every pot so far, and something just didn't feel right. I checked it on the flop and the turn. He overbet the river and when I layed it down he showed AA in the hole for his set. A few months ago I probably would have gone broke on that hand because I wouldn't have been aware that this guy had put on the brakes. Of course, then I would never have had the honor of getting my Aces cracked by a donk.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bones said...

Ouch. That's no fun. But sometimes people don't just play the odds. Sometimes people play what they feel and apparently that person felt that they had another Q coming.

However, at least Jess wasn't in the room, so now you can put that ghost to rest. Bad luck isn't her fault. It's just bad luck!

7:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home