Friday, May 19, 2006

Getting ready

Tomorrow night is the home tourney that I had mentioned a few blogs ago. $100 buy in, the exact number of people who will play is unknown, but there will be at least 30, so it will be a nice payday for someone. I'm looking forward to that "someone" being me! I've had a pretty steady week, slightly ahead in my cash games and playing well in the MTT's. I've been exclusively playing the MTT's the past couple of days to get in a tournament state of mind for saturday. Last night I placed 5th in a $50 buy in MTT for a tidy little profit. I was 2nd in chips @ the final table when I ran into the chip leader, after I rivered a flush while he rivered the full boat! Can't do much about that.

Earlier tonight I was playing in a 25K guaranteed 6 handed tourney on bodog (which had a RIDICULOUS overlay, by the way. 306 entrants @ $40+4) Anyhow, I was the chip leader for the first hour and a half when I tripled up on the third hand. I had pocket 7's, flop came Q 7 3 with no flush possibilities. I check on the flop, we have a raise and a reraise after me. I call, and the original raiser comes over the top. I couldn't get my money in fast enough. The raiser had AQ and the other player had KK. After taking that hand, I bullied the others at the table for a while, picking up the blinds and small pots here and there. Once the antes kicked in, I found myself at a table with 2 other huge stacks. I picked the wrong times to be aggressive, and next thing you know I am no longer among the big boys. I don't play shorthanded tourneys very often and at this point I am probably too conservative with my starting hands, so the blinds and antes caught up to me quickly. Something I definitely need to keep in mind moving forward. Anyhow, with my M around 10 it is time to make a move, and I pick up the "Hellmuth" (pair of black 9's) in late position and decide to make a stand. I got called by AK and my nines didn't hold up. I fell hard and fast. Definitely one to file under a learning experience though, particularly in regards to shorthanded play, and big stack strategy.

Check back late sunday for the results from the tourney on saturday night! I am sure I'll have a couple of good stories to tell.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home