Sunday, May 07, 2006

Meet my wife

Remember when the Brady Bunch went to Hawaii and found the "bad luck" tiki idol? When it comes to poker, I have my own version of the idol. It's my wife. Don't get me wrong, I love my wife dearly. We have a fantastic relationship. She's my rock, my motivation, my inspiration, so on and so forth. But she is bad news when it comes to my poker game. It's not that we have arguments or disagreements concerning poker, I am very lucky in that regard. She understands that I enjoy the game, as long as I am not losing the rent money. She doesn't mind that I make the occasional run to Atlantic City, or sit at the computer for a couple hours a night, or the fact that I've been to Vegas 4 times in the past year (once for a few days during our honeymoon, even). She's cool with it. But it's become very apparent the past few months that when she is nearby, I don't win. I can't win. It's bad. Whenever Jess would come home from work, or come in from watching TV in the other room, even if it's just for a few moments, I go bust. At first we made it into a big joke, and laughed it off. It's just a crazy coincidence. But it kept happening. Again and again. To the point where not only are we both aware of it, but it's starting to really bother her.

She knocked me out of 2 tourneys today. The first was the 100K sunday tourney on bodog. She left the apartment to go shopping in the early afternoon, so I jumped online and promptly won a satellite qualifier into the game. I amassed a quality stack early on, and was in very good shape heading into the first break, when she came back to drop off a few packages. On the last hand before the break, my KK gets crushed when my opponent hits a runner/runner flush. I throw out a few choice profanities, Jess realizes what just happened, and she decides it would be best if she just goes back out. An hour later she tempts fate, comes home, and within 10 minutes of her arrival, I'm heading to the showers when I push all in with Queens, and the big stack flops 2 pair against me. The second tourney was a WSOP qualifier, and I'll spare you the details since I am not a huge fan of bad beat stories. Let's just say that she came over to have a smoke on the balcony, which is located right next to the desk with the computer. Jess watched in horror over my shoulder as I was sent to the couch yet again. She came back in from the balcony with the saddest look that I have ever seen, where she admitted to feeling absolutely awful that she is my bad luck charm. She can pout with the best of them. I spent the better part of the next 30 minutes trying to cheer her up.

Can the woman I love really be a bad luck charm for me @ the table? Poker is a game of skill, probablity, courage, and in the short term, luck does play a big part. Personally, I don't believe in "bad luck" tiki idols. But for my bankroll's sake, the majority of my play will be after she has gone to bed for the night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home