Thursday, September 07, 2006

WOWOW

Sometimes you just have to shake your head, smile, and thank the good Lord that He put people on this earth with no brains and disposable income. This poker thing is easy when you find players like that at your table.

I'm not one to criticize players for the most part, but this hand that I just played begs the question, "What the hell were you thinking?" Here's the setup..... 1/2 No Limit game on bodog. I buy in for $200, sit down and scoop the first pot to increase my stack to approx $220. Next hand, I get dealt A9 offsuit in the small blind. It gets limped around to me, so I throw the dollar in to see the flop. First 3 cards out come 333. It gets checked around. On the turn, the case 3 comes out, so now I play the board and have the nuts- Quad 3's with an A kicker. I throw out a pot sized bet just to see what happens, not expecting any action, or a split pot. I get reraised $25. Ok, we both have Aces, right? I figure what the hell, I'll push all in, we're gonna split the pot anyways. All $220 goes into the middle. I get called, like I expected. He flips up Q high.... NOT what I expected! And of course, just to mock him, a useless Q hits on the river. That very well may have been the most moronic play that I have ever seen at a poker table, or at least the most costly moronic play that I have ever seen at a poker table.

It's been a good week for me. My fortunes at the table have turned for the better (gotta love when variance works in your favor) so my bankroll is almost back to where it was 3 weeks ago. We have our house inspection tomorrow, I'll snap some photos and will post them here if anyone is interested. What the hell, I'll post them here even if nobody is interested.

One thing that I am going to miss when we move is our local tavern. Quotations Bar is just a few minutes from our apartment, and Jess and I have spent a LOT of time in there the past two years. I've laughed in there, I've cried in there, hell I even took my shirt off in there one time and waved it over me head(*shudder*). The owner, Mike, went to Villanova like I did. He opened the bar just a few weeks before we moved to the neighborhood, and we were immediately drawn to it for it's different decor- no pictures, instead there are famous quotes lining the walls and the tables (hence the name)- and their remarkable beer list. Every month Mike brings in a new selection of microbrews from around the world, keeping the top 10-15 sellers, and rotates out the other 20-30 selections. Usually I'll just walk into the bar and have one of the trusted barkeeps pick one out for me. The food is fantastic as well. Anyhow, I was quite honored when we walked in last week and found out that I made the beer list!! There was a Hazelnut Porter that was in stock that I was absolutely addicted to. And there was the description of it on the menu... "Shawn's favorite" Almost brought a tear to me eye. Of course, that was the same night that we told Mike that we bought a house in Delaware. I would like to think it was bittersweet for the both of us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home