Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Bunch of savages in this town

I had a nice productive day planned before I am supposed to go into work tonight. I made an appointment to bring my car in for a few things that I have been putting off, a run to the bank, and to my insurance agent. With any luck, I'd still be home by noon and would be able to get in a few hours napping on the couch before I had to be at work. Things didn't go exactly as planned. I did jump out of bed @ 7:30 when my alarm went off. So far, so good. I'm out the door @ 7:45, hop into the car to head to the mechanic, put the ole Honda Civic in reversre, then *CRUNCH* loud grinding noise and not going anywhere fast. Hmmm, I put it in drive and try to pull back into the parking space. Move about a foot, and my car drops down HARD. What the fuck? I step outside the car, and there is my right front tire fucking rolling on the ground. Some asshole removed my lug nuts last night. Bunch of savages in this town. So I jack the car up to check the damage, and luckily it looks minimal. I start hiking up the hill into town, while I am on the phone with my wife blowing off some steam. She decides to leave work and head home in case I can't find what I need at the local auto parts store. I don't even know what I need at the moment besides some new lug nuts, so rather than continuing up the big hill in the summer heat, I turn around and head back to the apartment. On my way I give the local police a call to report this vandalism, and they gave the impression that they couldn't be bothered with it, but promised to step up patrols within our apartment complex @ night. Thanks guys!

Jess gets home, and we head to the auto parts store where I get the new hardware. Once home, I put the tire back on and start tightening the nuts, and it is apparent that two of the bolts must be bent because the nuts won't turn. Unfortunately, they weren't even opposite corners, which makes driving on it a risky proposition- but with my frustration level growing, a risk that I am ready to take. So I drive, slowly mind you, to the mechanic and that is where it sits. I'm waiting for a call back when they can assess the damage. So far today I have had three different people... the mechanic, the cop I talked to on the phone, and my apartment complex manager... ask me, "Who did you piss off?" That's the funny thing about it- we keep to ourselves here and haven't pissed off any of the neighbors. I don't think there is anyone out there who would consider me an "enemy", and if there is, I don't think I have pissed off someone that royally where they would track me down and try to kill me. Which pretty much leaves the possibility of some neighborhood kids, trying to be funny. But that is an awful lot of motivation for mischief to be walking around in the middle of the night, with a lug wrench, to cause some damage that wouldn't happen for hours, and that they likely wouldn't even get to enjoy watching happen! I'm 100% perplexed on this one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home