Saturday, September 02, 2006

Full Speed Ahead

Started looking at houses on Thursday night. Made an offer on Friday. Offer accepted Saturday morning.

I take longer than that to decide what I am going to have for lunch most afternoons.

Of course we still have a few hoops to jump through before we can be officially tagged as "homeowners", but we are well on our way. It almost has moved too fast to comprehend. We just decided on a realtor last week, one who we liked (hey, she was cute) and very aggressive. Jess and I are so laid back, we wanted someone who would push us to get things done. We were looking for someone to take us out of our comfort zone a little, after all we are making the biggest purchase of our life, I don't necessarily want to be nonchalant about it. Plus, she was cute. And my wife liked her because she kept complimenting her on her hair and her shoes.

It was the fourth house that we looked at. I must have passed over it 10 times while browsing through the internet listings. It never really gave me a feeling one way or another. I guess that's why it is recommended that you actually go inside a house when deciding on a purchase. The second we walked up to it, I had a real good feeling. A very attractive brick 4 BR, 2 BA Colonial, nice yard. We step inside and meet the current owners, an Italian couple in their 80's who have been in this house over 50 years, since the day someone hung a door on the hinges. The house was immaculate. Over the years he has done a ton of work on it himself, building a brick, screened in porch off the kitchen, all types of stone work around the exterior, handcrafted railings and woodwork. We walk through the main floor, *love* the screened in porch, check out the upstairs, and then head down to the finished basement. The basement is huge, and it is divided into two areas.... a family room, and this gentleman's wood shop. The second I walk into that family room I am 100% sold on this house. A built in, absolutely gorgeous, handmade bar! At risk of sounding overly dramatic and cheesy, it took my breath away. The other half of the basement is his woodshop. I don't know one single thing about woodworking, but I *do* know that a pool table is going to look fantastic in there!

We looked at one other house in the neighborhood, but we knew what we wanted. Gina, the realtor, called the listing agent and got the scoop. There was another couple who was coming back the next night to take a second look at the house, so we figured we needed to act accordingly. Their asking price was more than fair, and we didn't want to risk losing this house over a few dollars a month on the mortgage. We put the offer together Friday night, signed the papers, and got the call Saturday morning. If all goes as planned, we'll be in our house in less than 6 weeks!!!! C*R*A*Z*Y!!!! I can't wait to invite all of you for a drink at my bar!

In other news, I've been on a little rough streak on the poker front. I've been bouncing back little by little, but I suppose variance had caught up with me for that monster win streak I had a few weeks back. The cure for a bad streak is Saturday nights on bodog, where the fishies come to swim! I think I may just limit myself to playing on weekends in the future, it's just that good.

Football season is finally upon us! I can't wait. I'll be attending the season opener @ Giants Stadium against the Colts, Manning vs Manning. And for the first time in 3 years I have Sundays off, so I can enjoy football season the way it is meant to be enjoyed... with a beer in hand, following my various fantasy football teams via live updates on the computer. Although, I am already screwed in one of my leagues as I was the unlucky sap who drafted Domanick Davis with an early pick. In my defense, that draft was held over two weeks ago before anybody knew the severity of his knee injury.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home